August 26, 2013

"Feijao Verde com Molhinho, Arroz, Carne, e Batata Frita"... Aaahhhh...This dish is one of my favorites! It brings back so many great memories...

It has been 12 years since I visited my family in Brazil. So, when I crave and long to cook some of my mom's recipes, I can't stop thinking about my family and the times we used to sit at our long table together and pretty much "attack" our food! I remember how loud we were...and happy! All talking at the same time and fighting over the last piece of steak, or french fries... Then came the dessert...wow! I don't want to sound too boastful, but my mom is one of the best cooks I've ever known! She just has such a talent for cooking, and now I regret the so many missed opportunities to learn how to cook when I was a girl. Although my mom would offer many times to teach me how to cook, I didn't care too much about it, most of the times saying, "Maybe later mom". And later it was...Nearly in my thirties, married, living in the US and caring for my newborn son. My mom came to visit us to help care for her new grandbaby, and that's when I finally showed more interest and gratitude towards my mom. She taught me how to cook some of her delicious dishes, and now I find myself calling her all the time asking her to give me a recipe and to teach me some of her cooking "tricks". We spend hours on the phone sharing recipes on weekends, and I think, "Why didn't I ever take this chance to learn from my mom earlier while I was living in Brazil?"

This dish is one of the recipes my mom taught me when she was here in the US...Very easy to do and doesn't require a lot of prep! Of course, I take some short cuts like precooked french fries that I can just bake in the oven, and letting my husband grill the steaks out in the backyard.
For a lower calorie dish, you can take away the rice and french fries! I personally don't because I love eating the rice with the black-eyed peas and the dressing all together in one bite! :D

So, here's the recipe for you. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as my family does! And I hope this dish makes some mouth-watering mealtime memories for you and your family as much as it has for me and mine!

INGREDIENTS
1 frozen bag (small) of black-eyed peas
2-3 filets of steak
1tsp of steak seasoning and 1 pinch of salt for each steak
1-2 servings of frozen fries
1 cup of uncooked rice (we prefer Basmati)
1 tbs of olive oil (for the rice)
1 tbs of minced garlic (for the rice)
1 tbs of salt (for the rice)
2 1/4 cups of water (for the rice)
Dressing:
1 bundle of cilantro
1 red tomato
5 green onions
1 1/2 tbs of olive oil
1 tbs of vinegar
1 tsp salt

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Cook the black-eyed peas following the instructions in the package (I suggest adding at least 1tsp of salt in the boiling water)
  • Rub the steak seasoning and salt on both sides of the steak, get your husband off of the couch, and ask him to grill some steaks! ;)
  • Once the black-eyed peas are cooked, drain the water and set aside in a serving bowl
  • RICE: In a 4 or 5 quart saucepan, add the olive oil and garlic and saute the garlic (until the garlic turns a golden brown caramelized color- Careful not to burn the garlic!)
  • Add the uncooked rice, stirring it into the saucepan with the sauteed garlic, and now add the water. Let the water just come to a boil and then turn it down to low heat, cover it, and simmer for 23 minutes.
  • DRESSING: Chop the cilantro, tomato, and green onions and add them to a small bowl. Add the olive oil, vinegar, and salt. Mix them all together in the bowl.
  • FRENCH FRIES: Bake the fries in the oven following the instructions on the package.
HOW TO SERVE:
Pour the dressing on top of the black-eyed peas and serve with the rice, steak, and fries. The dressing is also delicious on top of the steak! Enjoy it! Laugh! And one more thing, the Brazilian way to say
"CHEERS" with your family is, "SAUDE!" (pronounced sah-OO-djeh!)


Mama Bear Bedtime Books . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates