August 22, 2014

School started this week, and the boys already have homework! Yay... You can see my excitement there, right? Well, for getting homework done, you've got to have supplies: pencils, erasers, crayons, markers, scissors, ruler... So, here I am are at home, hunting for those darned leftover school supplies. I'm thinking, "I know they're somewhere in this closet, packed away with previous years of art projects, drawings, school pictures, grade reports, the kids' letters to me and my husband, old notebook journals with their illegible but cute handwriting...

While looking for a pencil in decent shape for my boys, I'm faced with this time consuming distraction, struggling to get them to actually sit down at the table to get started with their homework.

So, when cleaning my house the other day, I noticed how wet Swiffer boxes make pretty good pencil boxes. The size of the box is great (not too small or not too big), and the lid is pretty resilient and easy to open and close. I had one of those "Aha!" moments, and thought I could use it as a pencil box.

This was a super easy project. I wanted to decorate the box, so that way it would be more exciting for the boys when getting supplies to do their homework. Hey, anything that makes homework time more exciting is a plus! I got out my bag of colorful craft popsicle sticks, and I also used Glue Dots (glue lines are perfect for the popsicle sticks, but you can use the craft style circles as well).

The design is up to you. You can create patterns, use just one color, or make it colorful like mine. At home, we called ours, "The Box of Many Colors". My kids really enjoyed the colorful pattern and even gave me some suggestions on adding some thin popsicle sticks at the top. Although they did not do this project with me, this was so easy to do that you could make this art project with your child if you wish.

Now that the box is done, it's already sitting on the corner of the kitchen counter, full of school supplies, peacocking... When the boys are ready to do their homework, all they need to do, is open the "Box of Many Colors" and get to work! A simple, cheap, and easy way to make our lives a little bit easier.

Pencil Box
What You Need:

  • Empty Swiffer box (wet Swiffer)
  • A package of popsicle sticks
  • Glue Dots (glue lines)
  • Your and your kid's creativity!



Mama Bear Bedtime Books . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates